Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The old inn in Wise

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    The old inn in Wise

    What makes it so historical? I used to agree with fixing it up. Ive lived not far from it for 25 yrs and have never been able to explore it. I did buy weed in the rooms behind it before. Also how historic is our courthouse? We had some hangings there. Not knocking repairing either one of them. They just get called historic so often. We have alot more historic places in Wise County.
    GO VOLS

  2. #2
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    i really think that they should tear it down and make one intersection instead of that mess that they have.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    The Old Wise Inn was the first sheriff/policeman of Wise County's home. Which was my Great Great grandfather, Andrew Jackson Dotson.
    I think the courthouse has just been around a long, long time.. and the hangings, maybe something to do with Red Fox?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Steer that's pretty cool. In noway am I trying to take away from your family's heritage either. I just look at that flower garden they have made across the street from it and was wondering what a useless thing to do. It's not big enough to even have a yard sale at. They should have made a place for a farmers market or something other than a huge flower bed. Wich got me wondering about the the INN. I would hear stories about it but most were untrue and was wondering is it really that historic of a place? I would rather put money in to preserve a place with historic value. Like killing rock. You walk to it and there is a power pole planted right beside it.
    GO VOLS

  5. #5
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    totally understood... the actual first Wise Inn caught on fire, and the version we see now is the newer.

    I look for Wise to kick into full gear with renovations of everything, and making it more "historic", the whole town.... especially with UVA-Wise officially going to a "University".... it'll finally become a more college/appealing town.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Wise received some Community Development Block Grant money to do the garden and other things in Downtown. So don't fret folks, it was not accomplished with local money. It does look better. However, I was also told that the Methodist Church wanted to purchase the property for a parking lot, so that should have been an option also. Would love the see The Inn revamped and in use again.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Imo, way to much money has been spent on the Inn and the courthouse over the last 5 years. My grandmother worked at the Inn for a long period and I've heard numerous stories about it during its glory days. However, at this point I think it's time for it to go. The college brought in roughly 550 students this year as freshman, it's not far fetched that Uva-Wise will be home to 2,500 students in the next 5 years or so. I've been in favor of the town or somebody building a parking deck for some time as I think it would help the local businesses in downtown. As it currently stands very little parking exists and what does is mostly owned by a law firm and the courthouse. If you can get a parking deck in people might actually be able to park and go to the shops on main, the new restaurant, and I can actually have somewhere to park when I let Ronnie or Jack cut my hair. I'm sure the town will seek out money for grants or take tax dollars and fix that clock again (I hate that clock, it never works for more than 2-3 years and is it really that big of a deal that it works?) or continue the so called renovation on the Inn.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    Wise for sure needs some parking. Have to park at Payless if you have to go to court. I agree On the church getting that land should have been an option for sure. While the Garden thing is pretty it's seems useless. Even with it being a grant. Who will have to pay for the upkeep in the years?
    GO VOLS

  9. #9
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    I remember when I was a young feller that Payless had an employee Christmas dinner there. It was around 1977 or so. Other than that, I just don't remember much of it other than it becoming an "eye sore" to the town and the county for that matter. And as for the clock on the courthouse, didn't they fix that a couple of years ago and it tore up again, shortly afterwards?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The old inn in Wise

    what's a small town without a courthouse clock that doesn't work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •